Sunday, October 14, 2012

Mosaic Monday: Orchid Range








I've got such a backlog of photos to show you.  These are from a visit to the Duke Farms Orchid Range in a nearby town.  I took them way back in September.  And although our temps are definitely autumn-like now, I can still remember how hot and humid the air was in this beautiful glass house.

Duke Farms is a park of nearly 1000 acres that once belonged to tobacco heiress Doris Duke.  She was quite the scandalous woman of her time.  For a little more information on her life, read here.

The park itself is now administered as a model of environmental stewardship, utilizing and teaching the best and newest methods of best land management practices.  There are a number of trails for walking and biking, a series of man-made lakes, and a community-shared garden.  The beautiful conservatory shown here was designed by the Boston architectural firm of Kendall, Taylor & Stevens, and constructed by Lloyd & Burnham in 1900.  Built as a lavish, ornamental structure in the English country house aesthetic,  the building was used for commercial production of orchids and other flowers for the New York market in the first half of the twentieth century.  Today it has been renovated to LEED gold standards.  LEED is an acronym for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design, and is an internationally-recognized green building certification system.

Here are the instructions to join today's post:
1. Publish your Mosaic Monday post. The post may be about any subject you wish. The only stipulation is that it include a collage, or mosaic of photos.
2. Once it is published, click on the title of the post. This will lead you to the static link for your post. The static link is the page with only that post on it. Copy the url from your browser at the top of the page.
3. Paste the url into the appropriate inlinkz box in this post.
4. Type your name in the appropriate inlinkz box in this post.
5. Click on "Enter."
6. Please link back to this Mosaic Monday post so that your readers can find other wonderful mosaics.


That's all there is to it! It's always a good idea to then check and see if your link is working. If you have any questions, feel free to email me: mrcarroll(at)optonline.net

And a quick reminder: if you would like to join Mosaic Monday but don't know quite where to start, there is a tutorial on mosaic-making on my sidebar. Just scroll down, and click on the small blue mosaic.


35 comments:

  1. The orchids are beautiful. Doris Duke's name sounds familiar, maybe I've seen a movie they made about her life. Lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. An interesting history of this beautiful conservatory and grounds. Wonderful photos and mosaic. Thank you for hosting. Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, goodness! I love orchids! Beautiful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning photos Mary! I saw the movie about Doris Duke's life many years ago.

    Hugs,
    Susan and Bentley

    ReplyDelete
  5. so beautiful. We have nothing like this near where I live - so thankyou for taking me there. However we have been out looking for wild orchids lately - so lovely to see them in their native environment. Have a wonderful week, and thank you again for hosting Mosaic Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The orchids are gorgeous Mary!

    Thanks so much for sharing these and for hosting Mosaic Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mary,
    You photographs are truly amazing. I have been to Duke with my friend who lives in Hopewell. It is truly beautiful, but your photographs make it look even more glorious. Happy Monday.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful!! I have been tempted to buy an orchid plant, but with my history with indoor plants and their prices - gotta think about that a bit longer. :)
    Thanks for hosting again this week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You photographed some gorgeous orchids Mary and the conservatory itself is a sight to behold.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  10. There are so many varieties of orchids! You took some wonderful photos! Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What gorgeous images! Orchids are a great house plant for me. One of the few things I can depend on. This looks like an amazing place.
    Thanks for hosting.......Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wouldn't it be lovely to have a mini version of this greenhouse and maybe one or two of these lovely orchids to look at over the cold winter. Lovely photos. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  13. What gorgeous orchids Mary. Thanks so much for hosting.
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a gorgeous place! You've captured it beautifully. ::Jill

    ReplyDelete
  15. How exquisite those orchids are! I purchased my very first one this past spring and it did surprisingly well in the house. Thank you for showing these beautiful things!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such lovely shots. The sky behind the green house was just amazing. I can't wait to see the rest of the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You find such beautiful places for us, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  18. what beautiful orchids...How I love their spectacular blooms. I lived in Hawaii for a number of years and got very spoiled. The tiny Vanda Orchids were my favorite lei flower. I now live where it snows often throughout the majority of the year...Your elegant photos refresh my spirit!
    Blessings,
    Carolynn

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a gorgeous place! I must try to go visit! It's only a few hours away...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Exquisite photos of the orchids. So lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for hosting. Such wonderful orchid photos/collages.
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful pictures! This looks like an amazing place to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Well I'm still posting August photos:)

    These are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Mary, I cannot for the life of me even keep an Orchid alive! They are so beautiful and I have tried and tried. In fact, as we "speak" I have the leaves of one just barely hanging in!!!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh I have to visit here!
    I've passed Duke Farms often, on my way to Princeton, but have never stopped there.
    It's so beautiful -- inside AND out.

    Love orchids. I can keep them going for months, but so far, no luck in getting them to dish out more blooms after the originals croak.

    Rain today. But nice tomorrow!
    Gorgeous pictures!
    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have only ever owned one orchid....and it was gorgeous, a precious gift........and it seemed like it was floundering so I repotted it.

    And it really started dying......not until my daughteer moved back from San Diego did I learn I was suffocating the poor thing, I had NO idea that the roots are supposed to be outside. Poor thing. She tried to save it for me, but couldn't.

    Who knew? If I am ever given another I will definately know better next time.

    TY for hosting your wonderful weekly linky party.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow Mary, you are so blessed to have these marvelous places so near you. Your images are really so enchanting and lovely! Hoping your week is happy~

    ReplyDelete
  28. Dear Mary,
    your photos are so beautiful!
    Have a good day!

    Ciao!
    Maurizia

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh, how magical! Your photos are breathtaking. Love stopping by here each week. THX for hosting~ :)
    Shawn

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment. I love to hear what you have to say!